Flavor your onigiri with savory soy sauce and grill it to perfection to create a classic Izakaya dish right at home.
3 C warm rice 2 T soy sauce 1 T mirin (rice wine) 1 T vegetable oil
1. Thoroughly mix together half of the soy sauce and the mirin. Pour this mixture over the warm rice and thoroughly spread it through the rice.
2. Divide the rice into 4 equal parts.
3. Take one forth of the rice and form into a triangle shaped onigiri. Make sure your onigiri is very tightly packed so it fries better! Set aside and repeat three more times.
4. Heat a frying pan and add the vegetable oil to coat the pan before putting one of the onigiri into the pan. Fry until browned then flip.
5. Add a little soy sauce to the surface of the onigiri, then flip again. When the soy sauce as baked onto the ongiri and gives off a fragrant aroma, it's done.
6. Repeat this process until all your onigiri are fried. Serve while still fresh.